Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2010

WIND - but not even a light breeze behind their 'sails' agents!

My current motorola razor phone works easily overseas and is lightweight, fitting almost anywhere. When I signed up for my current plan, my phone had unlimited calling within the city and it was handy for the business I was owning and operating as I had a lot of phone calls to make. As my needs morphed I find myself texting more and talking on the phone less, and I'm after a phone that gives me mobile access to email.

My timing around switching cell phone carriers looked perfect - so last week I went to WIND. The publicity was suggesting amazing rates.  WIND advertised their new Toronto store right in my neighbourhood - seemed like it couldn't get any easier.

I walked into the store where there were at least 4 agents at work in logo T-shirts that distinguished themselves from customers. No one paid any attention to us when the two of us walked in. OK - maybe they're really busy.... cut them some slack around a fast acknowledgement.... a couple of minutes go by.  I am standing quite close to an agent who is on a computer, and he knows I'm there. "Good Afternoon" I say. Nothing. A quick glance upwards, avoiding eye contact, and exuding something between busyness and hyperfocusing avoidance using the computer. Exuding ANYTHING but interest that I was in the store.  I walked around, I said outloud, 'Gosh, I don't think they're really looking for my business today."  No one even looked up.  I CAN WAIT!! I just needed to be acknowledged and told that someone would be with me shortly.  Is there ever a customer who enjoys the experience of walking around in a store and being ignored? Would these individual sales agents do that to a guest in their house? 

A new company has the advantage of selecting a sales force (especially in the current economic climate!) that with a little training and management support could so easily come across as fresh, interested and eager for business.  Smugness never pays no matter how well branded the product is or what their reputation or existing laurels are. 

Smugness in a start up? Gosh!  Just read about how people are fed up with the service at several carriers right now and tap into that discontent. Instead, WIND seems to be imitating and even surpassing the low levels of customer-focus.  It leaves me with the idea that WIND isn't very creative at all, and colours my impression of the product before I even get to know its charms or price points.

I'll keep looking. I'm content to keep on texting until finding a company that is interested in my continued business.

No comments:

Post a Comment